Saturday, December 28, 2013

Don't Jump 29 Inches for a 30 Inch Box Jump




Greetings Fitters!
 We are going to talk tonight about commitment. We all make commitments on a regular basis, and since we are all humans, we have all given up on some from time to time, including myself. Some small commitments that come to mind are things like starting a strength training cycle, only to give up before the entire cycle is complete. Here recently, I made a commitment that I did not follow through with that cost me some immediate pain (and a little skin off my shin). Those who are friends with me on Facebook (if you aren't, please feel free to add me!) saw a picture of the aftermath of me missing a 30 inch box jump today. It wasn't pretty, but it made me consider some life lessons.

Why do we commit to actions? Why is it important to stay committed to an idea or action once we begin?

Remembering why we began: Usually, if it is something worth it, we begin an endeavor for very good reasons. It may start off unalterable, but over time we may lose our path or logic behind why we began. It is important to take time now and again refocus our efforts, so that we not only stay committed, but stay moving in the right direction.

Committing to the Big Picture: I personally try to make sure that the endeavors I commit to are ones that will assist me in the bigger picture of life. I make sure the things I commit to will help myself grow as a leader in fitness and wellness, or grow as a husband or family member, or to be a better athlete. I enjoy helping people as much as possible, but if my commitment isn't going to help that, I won't be able to give it 100%, and it would be better off in the hands of someone who can commit all the way. The next time you are asked to commit to something, ask yourself this: Will this help me be a better person, in the ways I believe a person can be better?

100% Commitment: 100% commitment is vital in two facets. The first is that you must commit yourself completely to the idea. If it is worth taking up your valuable time (life is too short not to do something you find worthwhile) then commit to it 100%. If I had committed to that 30 inch box, I would have kept all of my skin today. Instead I became lax, forgetting to give everything I had into that jump, and I suffered for it.

 Secondly, committing to something 100% means that you are going to see the thing to its completion. Remembering why you began is a great way to assist you in making sure you complete the task. If you can remember why you started this commitment in the first place, and remind yourself that it is to help the Big Picture, you are more likely to finish. After I cracked my shin on that box, I stepped away, perhaps said a few choice words under my breath, and I went back and jumped on that box. Because I knew those jumps (in conjunction with the rest of the workout), were going to help improve my fitness.


Making commitments like this, be it large or small, can be challenging, and sometimes frightening, as commitments usually come with a great deal of change and sacrifice. But if you can remember why you began, align your commitments with the big picture, and be 100% committed, you are more likely to see this thing (that we call life) to the end, and make the world a better place for it. Stay committed my friends.

Stay Fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment