Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Why My Kid Will Do Gymnastics



Don't think this isn't for you because it said gymnastics, and kid. This is going to be for EVERYONE.

I've always told people that when I have a son (because, you know, I have a choice), he is going to do two sports (you know, because I have a choice). He's going to be in gymnastics because it generates some of the best athletes in the world (more on this in a second), and he's going to be in football, so he doesn't get beat up for being in the aforementioned sport.

So why gymnastics? Gymnastics is the most elite expression of your ability to control your own body in space. To do this, they must be extremely strong to hold and get into positions (some of the most strongest athletes, pound for pound, are gymnasts), enviously flexible to bend into positions, coordinated to be able to work on rings/floor/beams, cardiovascularly endured to do a very intense routine perfectly (they are even judged by the strain they exhibit on their face!), agile, powerful, and on and on.

But the big key factor is that they can control their own body STUPENDOUSLY. In all sorts of positions. For instance, I have my clients do handstands (and handstand pushups and walks for the more advanced). So now you may think "well, I'll never work with him, that's ridiculous! I'll never need to be upside down in my life." So let me ask you this. Your car flips, and your are stuck in it upside down, with your seat belt on. It won't unlatched because your body weight is putting too much strain on it. You have the strength in your shoulders to press yourself up...but you've never liked the idea of working upside down. Do you just give up? I know, a crazy, one in a million chance. It never happens...until it happens.

The Iron Cross. Don't try this at home. Or the office. Or without years of experience.

So I'm saying get out there, do crazy flips, stand on your head, and buy a set of gymnastic rings! Kidding. (Except the rings, those are amazing for so many things!) Gymnastics moves consist of you using your body weight in multiple positions to perform a task. So the Iron Cross (shown above) is a gymnastics movement (an extremely advanced one!), but so is the pushup, the air squat, handstand walks, L-sits (Google it!), regular and ring dips, and more. And the ability to control our body weight correctly in different planes, positions, and circumstances is about as important as being able to breathe (if you want to live a quality life). So get out there and work on controlling your body (and remember to keep that core tight, read my last post for tips!). Need some ideas to get started? Let me know. Because my number one priority is to help you do one thing.

Stay Fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment