Sunday, January 12, 2014

Express Your Fitness - Play Sports



Greetings Fitters!
 Tonight I had my first game of soccer in a league I was invited to play on. I haven't played soccer in about 6 years. However, I wasn't too worried about strapping on my shoes and hitting the field. Why? Because I train for things like this. No, I don't spend hours doing agility drills, or kicking a ball around, but I do train for something I find much more valuable: General Physical Preparedness. Why is this important? Because it is the currency of fitness by which all physical bills can be paid. By training the 10 components of fitness (speed, agility, balance, coordination, flexibility, accuracy, stamina, strength, power, and cardiovascular endurance), no matter what life throws my way, I am going to be able to handle it. Whether that be a puddle to jump over, a bus to catch, or a quick break to score a goal.

 So why sports? I would say that the large emphasis placed on children to play and value sports and athletes puts a large bias towards life skills that will never be put to good use. Instead, emphasis should be placed on children learning how to move correctly. Once that is addressed however, sports are invaluable. Why?

 - Expressing your Fitness: By playing sports, you are allowed to express your aptitude into the 10 components of fitness. Why paint a beautiful painting if you aren't going to hang it, or build an engine if you aren't going to put it in a race car?

 - Receive a Unique Workout: Not only can you show what you have gained from your dedication to improving your fitness, but you will also receive a tremendous workout just by playing. Pick up games of basketball are a great way to work on agility, cardiovascular endurance, speed, power, etc.

 - Enjoy Yourself: If you find something you enjoy doing, and do it with people who enjoy themselves, you will find yourself having fun will getting a great workout. Whether it is shuffleboard (accuracy) trail running, or soccer, you can enjoy your workouts. And it doesn't have to have a trophy at the end to be worth pushing yourself, or playing at all. Any competition with two or more teams, and a scoring system is a sport.

Get out and play! Do what you love to do, express your fitness in a fun workout, and always remember.

Stay Fit.
Me expressing my fitness in the exquisite sport of Extreme Engagement Pictures
By the way, the first game went well. We won 15-0, but from what I was told by my teammates, the other games are going to be much harder. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment